FREE SUBSCRIPTION Includes: The Advisor Daily eBlast + Exclusive Content + Professional Network Membership: JOIN NOW LOGIN
Skip Navigation LinksHome / News / Read News


Alta to Sponsor CFLA Conference Presentation On U.S. Leasing Trends by Ralph Petta

September 08, 2016, 07:03 AM
Filed Under: Industry News

The Canadian Finance & Leasing Association (CFLA) Conference Sept. 21-23 at Niagara Falls, Ontario, will feature presentations focused on Evolving in Turbulent Times, with Ralph Petta’s discussion about the challenges and opportunities of doing “Business South of the Border” in the U.S. certain to be one of the highlights, said Hugh Swandel, senior managing director of The Alta Group Canada and a CFLA board member.
Petta, who is president and CEO of the U.S. Equipment Leasing and Finance Association (ELFA), will speak 4:30 p.m. Wednesday Sept. 21 in a presentation sponsored by Alta.
In other sessions, Swandel will moderate a panel of experts who will review Canadian market data at 2 p.m. Thursday Sept. 22. Their “Measuring the Industry” workshop will cover data that reveals shifts in market share, credit performance and the size of the vehicle and equipment markets, as well as insights into the economy and projected areas of growth.

Swandel is expected to discuss the significant number of recent merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions as part of the workshop.  Bill Phelan of PayNet, Roger Mitchell of Equifax Canada and Robin Somerville of The Centre for Spatial Economics will also be presenting and cover details of the performance of the commercial equipment and vehicle industry. The session is sponsored by Wilson Vukelich.

US-based leasing professionals who attend the event will find that the Canadian industry seems familiar in many ways but is characterized by key differences in regulations, marketplace considerations and business languages, which include French.
“About 80% of the Canadian leasing market is similar to the U.S. but the other 20% is what can kill you in business if you do not understand the nuances,” Swandel explained.

Comments From Our Members

You must be an Equipment Finance Advisor member to post comments. Login or Join Now.